807 Central Avenue
This building was first constructed in 1882. According to Edna Bachle, it was briefly a hotel in 1893, called the Talmage House, which included a crochet field. Then in 1909 it was purchased by the Burlington Railroad. I am not sure what it was used for during this time, but the building of the railroad was a very significant point in the history of Nebraska and the whole entire nation.
809-813 Central Avenue
Although built in 1895, and the dry cleaning business started here in this building in 1941 during WWII. The building has been home to the only dry cleaning business in the town of Auburn. This is very important because without it the people would not have been able to get their laundry done; people would have had to commute or send out laundry.
814 Central Avenue
The building was built in 1910 and was a horse stable. Back in the 1930’s the west side of the shop was the auto area. During the 1930’s it was a Ford dealership. In the 1950’s and 1960’s it was also a tractor shop.
815 Central Avenue
The building was built in 1883 as part of the historic Howe and Nixon Addition to the town of Sheridan, which merged with Calvert to become Auburn. This building is located in the history-filled downtown of Auburn, and the auto shop has been an important contributing part of this community. The Auburn (Byers) Hotel was also located in the heart of downtown; it was built around 1902-1903 and greatly contributed to the Auburn community. During WWII the Hotel modified its business to become a bus stop and telegraph office which was a large contributing factor to the Auburn community. Bobby Kennedy also paid a visit to this hotel in 1968 on his campaign trail, which is very significant. Senator Kennedy was a very important figure in history and it is extremely significant that he visited Auburn.
815 Central Avenue
The building was built in 1916 as a car dealership and is now used as a real estate business.
822 Central Avenue
The building was built in 1910.
822 Central Avenue
The building was built in 1910 as a retail store.
830 Central Avenue
The building was built in 1910 as the local newspaper and has always been used as the newspaper shop. The local newspaper currently still owns the building for the Auburn local newspaper.
900 Central Avenue
The building was built in the early 1890’s and was first used by the Smith and Wallace Shoe Company from 1893-1899. In 1906, the building was then used as a cigar shop then later on May 1, 1930, the Railway Express Agency took over the building. April 1954-1959, Louie Hathaway bought the building to use as a sporting goods store that also sold liquor. Dwight Grimgs used the building as a law office and the building was also used as part of the Chevrolet building. February 1979-1984, the building was used as a fabric store, Fabric Village. Today it is still used as a fabric and quilting store The Fabric Fairie.
901 Central Avenue
The building was erected in 1900 and shares a wall with the adjoining building on the west side. The building occupies two lots from the Howe & Nixon addition in Auburn. The building is split in two as a restaurant and an apartment. The apartment is located on the southeast section of the building with the kitchen for the restaurant on the southwest and the dining room on the northern half.
902 Central Avenue
This building was split into three sections with the first section used in 1893 as the Milly’s/ Lenderer Strauss & Company and in 1899 as a vacuum ad tailor shop. In 1906, the section was used as a dressmaker/ tailor shop. The second section was used as a restaurant in 1893 and then both a restaurant and grocery store in 1899. 1906, the building was then used as a restaurant again. May of 1930, the Smith Motor Company car dealership owned the building that then later became the Chevrolet Standard Co. dealership in April of 1954. 1959, the Chevrolet Standard Co. shared the building with the Studebaker Sales and Service shop. Don Johnson purchased the building and it became Johnson Motors, Chevrolet Dealership. The building is now used by the Nebraska Public Power District.
905 Central Avenue
The building was constructed in 1920 where several businesses had occupied the building. A furniture store, Arnold Furniture, occupied the building in 1930 and was owned by JW Arnold and the Western Auto. Associate Store in 1959.
907 Central Avenue
The building was built in 1900 and several businesses such as F&H Sandwich Shop in 1930 and Bria’s Coffee Shop in the 1950’s. Half of the building was occupied for most of the time by Fred Bosshammer’s tailoring shop
908 Central Avenue
909 Central Avenue
This building was built in 1900 in the downtown business district in Auburn. Many businesses had once occupied the building with the most known as the Frigidaire Sales & Service/ Charles Galus Radios in 1930. In the 1950’s, the building was owned by the Howe Gas/ Northern Propane Gas Co.
910 Central Avenue
The building in 1893 was called Milly’s and in 1899 the space was converted into a vacuum sales shop. In 1906, the building was a billiards and parlor. In the 1920’s, it was occupied by R.Larton & Co. In the early 1950’s, the space was used as a bar and on July 19, 1954 it was a tavern called Bill’s Place. From April 1954, the building was split in half with Coffey’s Tavern in 1954. The upper half was the Lady B. Lovely Beauty Shop. On February 1979, it was a disco place and the upper half was an apartment where Dale White lived. In February 1983-2006 it was a bar called Whiskey Run.
912-914 Central Ave
913 Central Avenue
The two-story brick building was built in 1900 and shares both the east and west walls. In 1937, the building was used by the Paul Lorance Insurance and in the 1950’s the Erisman Electric Company then bought and used the building.
915 Central Avenue
The two-story brick building is used today as the Lynch’s Hardware & Gifts.
916 Central Avenue
In 1893, the building was used as an ice block store
1899, a general store
The building was split into the upper and lower parts of the building
In 1909-1907, the Williams Grocery Co. used the building
May 1, 1930 was the George Foyt Shop on the upper level
1930–1945 lodging in the upper part of the building
1944-1945 the name changed to the Grant Grocery store
1954 the upper space was the American Legion Club and the lower level was The Greyhound Bus Depot
1998-present Peggy Kuser CPA
917 Central Avenue
The building was constructed in 1900 and called the Dustin Candy Kitchen from the 1930’s until sometime in the 1950’s. In 1982, it was converted into a tavern called The Waterhole Tavern.
918 Central Avenue (Right Bay)
In 1893, the building was a grocery store called Farmer’s Grocery and in 1899 the space was converted into two separate levels. The upper half was converted into a photography shop and the lower half was still used as a grocery store. In 1906, the lower floor was called William’s Grocery with the second floor still used as a photography shop. In 1941, the Marcus a Clothing Store and on April 1954 S.B. Mason lived in the upper half of the building and the lower level was the Wrightman & Raride clothing store. From 1968 to 1984, it was a lady’s ready wear shop called the Mode O’ Day and in 1980 it was converted into a pictures and framing place. Then later Mandy Hall Photography. Since 2013, it has been the Heywood Hills photography, graphics, and framing.
920 Central Avenue
In 1890, the building was used as a clothing and dry good Wrightman Clothing store. 1906 the Continental Oil Company/ Eustice Co. that later became the Hemmingsons dry goods and retail store in the 1920’s and the 1930’s was the Gilmore Bro’s dry goods store. Warder’s department store had then gone out of business in 1977 and in Feb. 1977-1894 the upper level was used a furniture store and Jones Jewelry in the lower level. Today, the building is owned by Paula Oestmann as gift, flower and home decor store.
919-921 Central Avenue
922 Central Avenue
923 Central Avenue
The building was constructed in 1890 and was occupied by the McKnight Clothing CO in the 1930’s and the Hahn Clothing in 1970’s. The 1980’s was the A.H. Gilmore Store during the early 1900’s. The original owner of the building was Louisa R. Hetzel.
1005 Central Avenue
1008 Central Avenue
The building was built in 1900 and was used as two different buildings. The first building was used as a retail store with a warehouse and storage in 1900. The second building was used as a storage garage in 1900. In 1930, the building was the Chambers News Stand and then as Bob’s Liquor in 1955
1009 Central Avenue
1010 Central Avenue
The building was built in 1920 and separated into three sections with the first section used as a retail store and the second and third section used as storage sections. In 1955, the building was used as a snack bar until 1961 where it was then converted into an apartment complex. The building is now used as an antiques shop.
1011 Central Avenue
1012 Central Avenue
The first owner of the land bought was Lucy Pollack in 1880 and is currently owned by Erlinda Statska and Richard Wilson as the Creative Hair and Nails. The owners of the property between 1883-1912 was D. Nixon and Charles Howe where Howe helped Charles Nixon to merge Calvert and Sheridan into Auburn. The building first opened as a barber shop and then the MID-Continent Butane-Propane Corp in 1955. 1957, the store changed to a chiropractor’s office.
1013 Central Avenue
1014 Central Avenue
1015 Central Avenue
1017 Central Avenue
1020 Central Avenue
The building was constructed in 1900 and originally was used as a retail store and storage unit. In 1955, the building was then converted into the Dovel Motor Company and the current owner of the building is the Catholic Social Services as the Catholic Social Services Store.
1023 Central Avenue
1107 Central Avenue
1205 L Street- Auburn First United Methodist Church
Legion Memorial Park
1100 J Street
1106 J Street
1108 J Street
1110 J Street
1112-1114 J Street
1115 J Street
1116 J Street
1118 J Street
1122 J Street
1206-1210 J Street
1211 J Street
1213 J Street
1215 J Street
1217 J Street
1212-1218 J Street
1219-1221 J Street (State Theater)
1206 K Street
1210 K Street
1213 K Street
906 13th Street
908 13th Street
910 13th Street
1017 13th Street (Glenn’s Corner Market)
1304-1306 Courthouse Ave
1310 Courthouse Ave
1320 Courthouse Ave (U.S. Post Office)
1400 Courthouse Ave
1100 15th Street (Auburn Christian Church)
1311 19th Street
1824 N Street (Nemaha County Courthouse)
20th and O Street
1400 20th Street
2006 O Street
This document was prepared by the City of Auburn. The completion was funded in part with the assistance of a federal historic preservation fund grant from the National Park Service, a division of the United States Department of the Interior. However, the contents and opinions expressed in this publication do not necessarily reflect the views or policies of the U.S. Department of the Interior. Regulations of the U.S. Department of the Interior strictly prohibit unlawful discrimination on the basis of race color, national origin, age, or handicap. Any person who believes he or she has been discriminated against in any program, activity, or facility operated by a recipient of federal assistance should write to: Director, Office of Equal Opportunity, National Park Service, 1849 C Street NW, Washington, D.C. 20240.